Monday, December 5, 2011
Coconut Lime Gateau
225g plain flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
225g butter, at room temperature
225g caster sugar
grated zest of 2 limes
4 tbsp fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes)
3 desiccated coconut
* cream cheese topping
1. Preheat 180C oven. Grease tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter until it is soft and pliable. Add the sugar and lime zest and beat until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
4. Using a wooden spoon fold in the sifted dry ingredients in small portions, alternating with the lime juice. When the mixture is smooth, stir in two-thirds of the coconut.
5. Pour the mixture into prepared tin and spread it evently to the sides. Bake for 50 minutes (test with a skewer).
6. Remove the cake from the oven. Cool for 10 mins, then turn out and peel off the lining paper. Cool completely on the rack.
7. Spread the remaining coconut in another cake tin. Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Watch carefully so that the coconut does not get too dark. Cool.
8. Put the cake on a serving plate. Spread the cream cheese all over the top and round the sides of the cake.
9. Scatter the toasted coconut over the top of the cake and leave to set before serving.
* Cream cheese topping
250g cream cheese
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp lime juice
Put the cream cheese in a mixing bowl and beat it with an electric mixer at medium speed until it is soft and pliable. Gradually add the caster sugar and beat at high speed. Continue beating until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Add the lime juice, beat until smooth.
at 11:46 AM