Monday, January 9, 2012
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 tbsp dry yeast
Five spices powder
2 pinch of salt
2 drop of red colouring
1. Mix (B) until sugar has completely dissolved.
2. In a large bowl, mix ingredients (A) until well blended. Add (B) and mix to form a dough.
3.Let mixture prove for 45 minutes.
4. Roll the dough about 2cm thick, spread with (C). Roll up the dough, like a Swiss roll. Using a sharp knife, cut each roll and lightly press them flat. Let them rest for 10 minutes.
5. Deep fry in medium hot oil until dark brown. Serve.
at 12:26 PM
Sunday, January 8, 2012
20 savoiardi (sponge finger), quartered
1 1/2 cups (375ml) orange juice
375g frozen raspberries, thawed for 10 mins
1 tbsp icing sugar
3 medium mangoes, peeled, thinly sliced
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
3 cups (750ml) milk
1/2 cup (75g) caster sugar
3 egg yolks
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp vanilla extract
500g mascarpone, at room temperature
1. To make praline, grease and line a baking tray. Heat sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small heavy-base pan on medium, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium. simmer syrup for 4-5 mins, until golden, without stirring. Remove from heat.Pour onto prepared tray and allow to cool. when set, break into pieces. Reserve a few shards for decoration. Process remaining praline in a food processor until finely chopped.
2. To make custard, bring milk to a simmer in a large saucepan on medium-low heat. Beat sugar, eggs, yolks and cornflour in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Stir in hot milk. Place in a clean saucepan on low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5-6 mins, until thick. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a heatproof bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. cool. Stir in mascarpone.
3. Lightly toss savoiardi with orange juice. Leave to soak for 5 mins.
4. Meanwhile, using a blender, puree raspberries with icing sugar.
5. To assemble, place serving glasses on a tray. Divide mango and half of raspberry puree between glasses, then layer with praline, soaked biscuits and mascarpone custard. Chill for 3 hours.
6. Top with extra fruit and remaining puree. Decorate with praline shards. Serve.
at 6:35 PM