Wednesday, March 21, 2012
Chocolate Layer Cake
Sweetness & light, "Ladies bring a plate ".
21/3 cups (350g) self raising flour
100g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
220g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
350g light brown sugar
1 large (about 160g) potato, peeled, boiled, mashed, cooled
1/2 cup (125ml) milk
3/4 cup (240g) apricot jam
300ml thick cream
Cocoa powder, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 190C. Grease and line two 20cm round springform cake pans with baking paper. Sift flour into a large bowl with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
2. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl, set over a pan of simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water). Stir until melted. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
3. Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until thick and pale. Add melted chocolate and mashed potato and beat until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, adding a little of flour each time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the remaining flour, then stir in the milk until well combined.
4. Divided mixture between the 2 pans and bake for 25-3- minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Once cool, use a serrated knife ti slice each cake in half horizontally to give 4 equal layers. ( Me, only make 3 layers..Why?..You will know if you have a hungry kids in the house..hahaha)..
7. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate and spread with one-third of the jam, then top with one-quarter of the cream. Repeat layering twice more, then top with the remaining cake layer. Spread remaining cream over the cake, dust with cocoa powder and serve.
at 2:17 PM